How To Discover & Develop Your Child’s Strengths

How To Discover & Develop Your Child’s Strengths

Download this free report, Unlocking Your Child’s Full Potential, by simply filling in your name and email address into the form below and I’ll send your copy of the report immediately; where you’ll learn research based strategies for how to better develop your child’s:

• To become more “social”
  • Overcome fears much easier then their peers
  • Develop the habit of persistence and NEVER quitting
  • Increase their love for learning
  • and much, much, more…

Fill out the form below to receive this report now:

First Name *
Email *

About the Author

Join the Conversation - Your Comment Could Win $50 (details)

1. Nancy Lucas says:

Wow. I’ve read, practiced, and applied a lot of parenting skills over the last 7 years, but your report opened my eyes. You put this in such a way I’ve never seen before. This was very helpful. I’m inspired to change a few things – like ask Daddy to play rough instead of getting bug-eyed when he does it and reconsidering the scary movie rule in our house. THANK YOU!! I look forward to reading more of your information.

2. donna ess says:

I teach a class for young parents and their infants and toddlers. I was interested in seeing what skills you recommend to help these parents raise confident capable children who will be able to reach their full potential. I have certainly seen some interesting ideas.

• Mac Strider says:

Donna, I think my free report outlines the 6 biggest areas. Another big one is focusing on changing their parenting style to an emotion coaching style. A good book for that is “Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child”. You can search for that title on my site for a review and more thoughts.

Or you can check out one of my courses for my most advanced concepts on reaching full potential over at http://www.parenting4success.com

3. Rosalia says:

Amazing!!! I’ve prayed and prayed for help.
    I am a new mother of a beautiful 3 year old girl, and she is the most precious gift from God that I have ever gotten. I am truly blessed.
    All of my family lives in another country so I seldom see them, and I really don’t have anybody to truly ask questions or confide about my worries and of course “fears” of being a mom. I don’t know how to be a better mom, my daughter is to my eyes truly amazing, I don’t know how to help her “wholly” grow in every aspect of life and I don’t want her waste any potential she might have because of my inadequacy I am/was desperate. I found your website, read your report and found hope. Thank you so much!

4. Jenny says:

Hi! I downloaded your report and I loved it. I have a 16 month old son. The rough housing thing makes sense and fortunately my husband has already been doing that since little Gabriel was old enough to laugh :) I was so intrigued by the idea of the 6 personality traits of great people, that I also bought your program. I’ve only listened to the first 2 hours so far, but have been pleasantly surprised by the fact that we already practice some of the concepts you discuss, like challenging things that are considered the norm for a child’s development timeline. Looking forward to listening to all of it!

• Mac Strider says:

That’s GREAT Jenny,

If more people put the thought your putting into how to raise their sons and daughters, this world would be a better place :-)

Just out of curiosity, I’d love to hear from you when you find something you aren’t doing in the course and how you react to it.

I found that doing the research for this product made me have to come to terms with a few long held beliefs I had about how to parent, and sometimes that can be tough.

Keep in touch.

• Jenny says:

Actually, there was one thing in your free report that was hard for me to read, and that was about how your mother paid a talented someone a hefty sum of money to help make you better. The reason this was hard is because we are actually a poor family.

And I don’t mean that we’re just struggling a little. We’re technically homeless since we are living with my husband’s father and have very little space here, we have a decent amount of credit card debt (more than you racked up in your time of hardship unfortunately), and about 10 times as much student loan debt due to a private college that my husband attended that unfortunately ripped him off (long story).

Despite all this, I insist on being home with my son instead of out working some job because I fully believe that he will turn out best if I’m the one to raise him. No one else is, or will be, as committed to my child as I am. I purchased your program with a credit card because if I’m going to incur more debt, it might as well be for him.

I would be interested in discussing/brainstorming creative solutions for parents of limited means to avoid pushing their child into the same fate. I realize this will involve changing ourselves as well as I can admit that our situation isn’t the world’s fault. My biggest problem is limiting beliefs (i.e. I’m not good enough), and I’ve noticed my husband’s largest hindrance is his lack of self-control/will-power which feeds into his tendency to procrastinate and waste time.

5. Wonderful work. I have spent my years of retirement trying to tell parents all the things I couldn’t tell them while employed as a School Psychologist in public education. It is a blessing to see the work of someone else who sees the need to realize that children are our future, and have some modicum of insight into how to raise them.

Schools educate, it is the job of parents to build character and healthy bodies, and spiritual insights. These skills come with experience, and and parents are sometimes negligent when they are learning while doing.

Thanks for the good work.

6. Nancy Streng says:

Parenting is the hardest thing I have ever done. I think it is extremely important to help new parents think about how to parent, not just move through on their own instincts & “how they were brought up”. Most caring parents want more for their children than they had (& I don’t mean more material things…I do mean more coping skills).

7. Ivry says:

This report was a breath of fresh air for me. I realized there are somethings that I am doing and many things I need to do. I have an 8 year old son and would like to know, will this information benefit him like it would a child under 5?

Single Mother
    Needing Advice

8. kim says:

I am interested in your program though you introduction letter needs to have the grammar checked very badly and the 22 page report as well. There was a lot I do agree with, but I was slightly offended by your dissing sleep training if you really have done in depth research you would know that proper brain development needs proper sleep patterns! You also did not seem to think focusing on reading or proper behaviour were that important, I think children need a properly rounded life and respect for others. I would definitely have to hear your whole program before suggesting it to my readers or friends. I was surprised to here you were from Spokane too your mother must of had to pay a huge amount of money to get the zags couch for personal lessens so what would you suggest for those that want to improve the next generation but are themselves not wealthy?

9. Ember says:

I am a mom of a beautiful, courageous, healthy little girl (now 3.5) and I own a home day care. I am dumbfounded by the huge importance put on learning ABCs and 123s. Those are important, of course, but I have always thought emotional and social learning is the most crucial from birth to 5 years of age. I sooooo appreciate your enthusiasm and honesty with this information. I especially liked the area of letting kids face their fears. I have a huge problem with saying, “Be Careful!” over and over…I irritate myself sometimes. Letting them make mistakes and figuring out it’s not that bad or “how can I fix it”…what a concept! Thank you! I’m hoping to make the investment in your program in the near future.

10. Elizabeth says:

I think your article is an eye opener to every parent who has their child’s best interest at heart. As a parent, I would like my children to be the best they can be in the area they are interested in – and the way to do this has been summarized in your article. Thanks a lot

11. Kristen says:

This is so helpful in many ways. It reinforces some of what I have done and will change others. I read Nuture Shock a couple of years ago and LOVED it.

As for facing fears, we follow the “rub it out” philosophy with our kids when they hurt themselves, instead of allowing them to whine about a bumped knee, they rub it out and keep moving. Facing fears is a big deal to me, as I was brought up in a violent home. But I have a tendancy to protect my kids from emotional or physical pain; I am trying to teach them to protect themselves, but it is a slow process and I may be sabotaging my own efforts.

Have you heard of “Raising Safe Children”? A woman in Denver, Co, Heather Berkower, teaches the program to keep kids safe from child predators. It is so amazing in that it teaches them to be “the boss of their body” and never, never to keep secrets; as that is how “groomer” predators get to kids that they molest over time. It seems in conjuction with your ideas on emotional and social intellect and the ability to stand up for themselves, even in the face of authority.

I would also be interested in your opinion of play-based vs academic schooling for preschool children. Our kids attend a bilingual school that starts at age 3; and they are bilingual. In the arena of Mommy Wars, this is frowned upon by many. But I just don’t see the point in delaying my kids’ success, when language skills are most prominent during these younger years.

Interesting read, I hope to see more.

• Mac Strider says:

Glad you enjoyed it Kristen… and no, I haven’t heard of raising safe children. I’ll have to check that out, thanks for bringing it up.

As for the bilingual school thing I have heard how too early an exposure to a second language hampers language develop early on. But I have yet to do my own research on this. I’m actually leaning more towards hiring a bi-lingual tutor to home school my kids and having “Spanish day” in our home once or twice a week. But that’s because I want to learn a second language too. If you find any studies on bilingual research development, feel free to send them my way, its an area I’m about to start researching extensively.

12. Kristen says:

Check out Feather’s Website, I think you will love the content. She is just so dynamic and the lessons are meant to educate, not terrify parents. It teaches you and your child how to deal with a predator, avoid contact with them and protect themselves.

As for the bilingual deal, I have heard just the opposite. However, I am not above believing that we will find the data that supports our own hypotheses. Here is an interesting npr story from this week.

I think the Spanish tutor idea is great; isn’t that just like the baseball scenario? I think you will be amazed at how much faster your children pick it up than you will. Stick with it anyway, oh, you already know that!

Here is a paragraph lifted from the following link:

Whether your interest in raising a bilingual child is due to necessity or desire, studies have proven the benefits of bilingualism on children’s cognitive development. In her book Raising Bilingual Children (Mars Publishing, 2003), Carey Myles says “Bilingualism has been linked to a variety of positive cognitive benefits, including early reading, improved problem-solving skills, and higher scores on the SATs, including the math section.” Myles also claims that bilingual children have been shown to demonstrate “better listening perception” and that they “recognize earlier than monolingual children do that language is symbolic… and…are more skilled at interpreting and manipulating grammar to communicate clearly.”

13. Vanessa says:

Thank you Mac for this eye-opener. I am a South African living and working in Greece, with two beautiful daughters, 4 1/2 & 17 months. My husband & I have very different child rearing ideas & concepts and miracle upon miracle, he was very impressed when I shared your report.

14. Jacinta says:

Thanks for the info, amazing, however although my daughter is about to turn 4, apparently there’s hope for her, but my son is six…in a word “DEPRESSING”…We have already, intuitively implemented alot of what you’ve suggested before reading this, but my son has trouble trying new things and gives up easily…Does that mean we’ve failed and can never change that just because he’s older than 5?? Your report holds no hope for any parents whose kids are older than 5!!! :-(

• Mac Strider says:

I’m so sorry Jacinta! I never meant for this report to be depressing and make you lose hope. But you’re right, I don’t give any advice for people with older children, and I need to start doing more of that. But to answer your question, there is always hope. However, it will take longer, because you are now going to have to undo things that have been done. Stay tuned for more updates on children over 5 years old soon… and keep your chin up :-)

15. Penelope Parker says:

I work with students with disabilities and those qualities that make all the difference for mainstream children seem to be even more important for the young people that I work with to reach their full potential.

16. Bengt K says:

Thank you for your work. I have not had time to read it all yet but my wife who works with young children speaks greatly about it. I look forward to following more of your work.
    God bless.

17. Helen says:

I love this report. Yes, it’s our responsibility as parents to help our children reaching their full potential. I’ve been trying my best with my 12 years old son who is doing great and happy, and your report encourages me to do even more… Thank you so much.

18. Liz says:

I really enjoyed this report and am thankful for the great parenting tips provided! It is very frustating for first time parents to figure things out naturally without a guide. The information provided is a great guide that points you in the direction, and most importantly it makes sense on why this product really works! Thanks for taking the time and putting together a roadmap that could be the success story of many many parents, caretakers, grandparents and parents to be!

19. Jill Roosevelt says:

I agree with you but I actually think Nuture shock was one of the worst books I’ve ever read. I heard her speak at a lunch and think she has a lot of great “sound bytes” but very little depth and content. You can tell when she speaks she is not a parent. but I really liked your paper thanks.

• Mac Strider says:

It’s funny how the same book can be loved by some and not by others. But I have to agree about how some of the arguments were organized. Plus I thought some of the arguments weren’t worth arguing in the first place… like I didn’t get a lot of value out of the racism arguments. But that’s how books work, they’re like a grocery store… they have lots of things to sell, but only a few of them are worth anything to you. Thanks for your feedback, and the kind words about the report, I appreciate it.

20. Ruth says:

Mac – It’s great to see your enthusiasm and love for kids! Though my own 7 kids are all grown up, I instinctively did a lot of what you recommend learning it from MY mom, THANK GOD! – so it was more ‘caught ‘ than ‘taught’. She encouraged me in Art, also, and I ended up being an animator and children’s book author and illustrator. One good thing I did for my kids was make illustrated behavior charts which I offer free on my site, http://www.gomommygo.com/ Please let me know what you think and feel free to recommend them to others.
    I heard about you from the “TODDLER WHISPERER” CHRIS THOMPSON! http://talkingtotoddlers.com/4-tips
    I’m only too happy to recommend you to others, and plan to share a link to your site on MY site, too! Let me know what you think! http://www.gomommygo.com/

• Mac Strider says:

Its funny you should comment Ruth, as I my neighbors 10 year old son’s dream is to get into animation, and I have been having fun motivating him and directing him on how to pursue that dream. If you know of any good “beginner” resources for a kid to start teaching himself animation, I’d be all ears :-)

21. Susan says:

I read the report, my child just turned 6, but he was a preemie so technically, I’ve got a couple months to go. I am a teacher and I would have to raise one issue: My goal as an educator is not to reach for average. I teach with an open-ended curriculum and all learns can enter wherever it’s appropriate and challenging for them. I realize this is not the norm, but I would contend that there are more great educators out there than are being heralded.

• Mac Strider says:

I agree and disagree Susan. I agree that teachers should have an open-ended style, if that means directing children towards their strengths, even if that requires going against required curriculum when necessary. But I very much disagree with your statement that there are MORE great educators out there than are being heralded. I would argue not 1 in 10 teachers a child has in public schools would qualify as an excellent teacher. Certainly I never had more excellent teachers than that. And my best teachers weren’t teachers at all, they were coaches in areas I was passionate about. And coincidentally, they were all privately hired versus publicly assigned to me.

I don’t mean to offend you personally by the way, there are a small percentage of good teachers. But all you have to do is look at the publicly stated goals of the public school system, as well as the hoards of lazy teachers it attracts to realize that the poor good teachers get lost. Even if you are a great teacher, the poor kid who finally lands in your class had to suffer through 9 other worthless ones. To undo all the bad “Imprinting” about life the other teachers have imposed on a child with the small sliver of time you get them for is almost an impossible task. I have no illusions that the system will change. I don’t even want to fight it’s change. I’d just like to see the good teachers and caring parents pulling their children out of this corrupt, inept system and taking a personal interest in their children’s education by hiring the best teachers as tutors, firing bad ones and building a personalized education plan focused on the child’s strengths.

At least that’s what I plan to do with my children.

22. Karen says:

Great article. You just reminded me of the principles I’ve already tried to instill. Have you done much reading on leadership education? You echo a lot of the same stuff, except for the importance that these must be instilled by age 5. I don’t understand your reasoning on that. Yes, it would be nice, but shouldn’t be a reason to panic! It’s never too late to inspire these, but ultimately, it comes down to our children’s will to self-educate themselves…something traditional education fails to teach.

Interact with us: Follow Better Parenting on Facebook Follow Better Parenting on Twitter Subscribe to Newsletter Subscribe to RSS